Saturday, September 27, 2008

Miles"ism"..... continued

The role of the teacher
The teacher must wear many hats......
To me, one role of the teacher should be that of a player-coach, a co-learner. If we want students to be lifelong learners then we should model this behavior on a daily basis. The teacher is in charge of the room but should not be afriad of spontaneous learning that comes from stories and sharing experiences. The neo-scholastic in me reminds me that students need to learn their ABC's and 123's. I agree but learning best occurs in a safe and caring environment.
I feel like I'm arguing with myself here...??

The role of the student
Students don't get to pick their context..... they live it.....
If the teachers are the player-coaches then the students must be the players and players need guidance and leadership no matter what sport you are talking about. Players and students alike often have baggage and as player-coaches teachers need to address this and understand that attending school on time everyday may not be easily realized. We teach about empathy and respect but is it reciprocated to students?

In my opinion, the best leaders lead with the goal of replacing themselves with someone better...

1 comment:

megangerwing said...

I like the player coach analogy. I also like the part about the teacher modeling lifelong learning to promote the importance of this concept to our students.