Saturday, September 27, 2008

Miles"ism"

Curriculum as "product" is based on reaching a goal through a "means" and to an "end" but the "end " product is the key.
Curriculum as "process" is rooted in the "means" aspect of learning with the "end" product as a lesser concern.
Curriculum as "praxis" is socially oriented and borrows aspects of the "product" and the "process" but there is a social justice slant, a serach for equality.

Curriculum as "product", as "process" and as "praxis" all have a place in my personal understanding and beliefs about curriculum.
In the classroom I have a definite plan of where I want to take students but I don't want to pigeon hole myself into the "product" realm of curriculum.
Knowing and understanding my students, their cultural, their community, and their home life dynamics are integral in addressing their needs. There are occasions I find myself more focussed on the journey than the destination making my teaching more "process" driven.
The statement, "fair is not equal" is something I hope all students I work with have a definite understanding of; I use it all the time. In my school there are definite "have" and "have not" students. When it comes to getting extra snack or treats it is not based on what is equal it is based on what is fair. It really frustrates me when a "have" kid continually asks for extra snack or tries to justify why they need more.

No comments: